On the north bank of the River Ribble and on the edge of Preston City Centre lie Avenham and Miller Parks side by side. Linked through ornate railway arches these grade II listed twin parks rank among the finest examples of traditional Victorian parkland in the north west of England. They were designed and created by the renowned landscape architect Edward Milner during the 1860’s and were built as public works to provide employment for cotton workers through the cotton famine.
A natural amphitheatre Avenham Park contains Avenham Walk, the Belvedere and Swiss Chalet, which are listed buildings, and the Boer War Memorial. The Rock Garden (also known as the Japanese Garden) was added in the 1930’s. Renowned for its summer bedding displays the more formal Miller Park contains Derby Walk, an Italianate Terrace, and the Derby Memorial Statue.
Avenham and Miller Parks play host to a large number of outdoor events throughout the year ranging including walks and educational events led by the Parks Service. A path next to the River Ribble along the edge of the parks leads upstream to an old tramway bridge. This gives access to the south side of river and open countryside teeming with wildlife.